2011 Professional Development and Classroom Activities
I joined the Edublogs PLN Challenge which started by describing what exactly a PLN (Personal Learning Network) is:
- making connections
- building relationships
- sharing expertise
- available 24/7
- global network of educators, administrators, professional
- I started with thoughts and goals about my PLN as well as a few tips I had learned the past year: http://techcsrn.edublogs.org/2011/06/19/learning-from-my-pln/ There are 10 challenges: http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/challenges-2/creating-a-pln/. I recommend doing the challenges on your own time, and each challenge will allow you to grow professionally and personally!
- I also presented at EdmodoCon2011. I showed how Edmodo was used with the Flat Classroom Project, A Week in the Life. This was a day-long event, starting at 9 in the morning and ending at 10 in the evening. My presentation was around dinner-time and over 300 people were listening! Here’s the link to my presentation.
- Before school I did a little workshop for a group of teachers who received laptops as a gift from a local company. I gave them suggestions on sites they should have updated on their computers, software they can share with students, and software to build their PLN. The presentation is here.
- I was also asked to help with The Global Classroom 2011 on Edmodo this coming year. Teachers will be able to connect with other classrooms with projects offered on the site. They will use Edmodo, and other social media, to communicate and keep the connections.
- I skype weekly with my Joliet Tech teachers and we invited several guests this past summer. Check out my blog for Skype Tuesdays! It’s been moved this Fall to Skype Thursdays, but it’s just as great!
2nd Grade: Global Read Aloud with Flat Stanley
3rd Grade: The Global Classroom 2011
4th Grade: Monster Project and Blogging
I worked on The Moon Over Us with the iCollaboratory team over the summer as well. This project will be done with my 5th graders as well as hundreds of students from the Chicago area as well as hundreds of students from China!
6th Grade: Hero Project
7th Grade: Digiteen Project
Looking forward to another amazing year!